Friday, March 23, 2012

The story behind the Mix Tape

A sound collage that Broderick made is being released through Teflon Beast. More details here:

http://teflonbeastrecords.bandcamp.com/album/split

"Here's how it happened. Chris told me about this time he was doing a four track recording and the tape broke. He said he just used scotch tape to fix it. He told me that on one of his tapes he took bits from other older tapes and put them together at the end of a song. So it got me thinking, what if it was all just that? So I bought a couple of tapes from the 99 cent store and got to work. It took me a couple of months to get everything working. I had to use a couple to get the casings. There are some with screws and others that are just a single piece of plastic. Anyways, after a while I got tired so I started recording in audacity. I would take a tape player and hook it up to my computer and hit record. however, the tape kept on getting jammed up. I don't think I knew why at the time, but I'm pretty sure that the tape was crooked. Anyways, after about 4 players died, and three run-throughs of Billy Ray Cyrus' documentary on Red Necks (thanks history channel), the Mix Tape was born. I burned 5 copies, and the next day I hid them around school, leaving them on window sills, or in class rooms, or in lockers. However, I'm pretty sure 4 of them ended up in the trash, but that's life!"

No comments:

Post a Comment